Sunday, June 17, 2007

Chefchaouen

I hate the city. After 2 days in Marrakech we rearranged all our plans to avoid cities. People are loud and pushy and I constantly feel like I'm being charged both white tax and woman tax. We took a train to Casablanca yesterday, and saw the Atlantic ocean and the Hamman II mosque, the 3rd largest in the world. Surprisingly, it seems most Muslims disdain the mosque, believing it was built for tourism rather than Allah. It's still so enourmous it's a sight to behold for whatever reason. At 6am this morning we hopped a train to Chefchaouen, a beautiful, small town in the Rif mountains. They grow lots of olives here, and the hillsides sparkle with terraces of silvery leaves, and what look like pink oleander bushes everywhere. It's quiet, there is no bustle, and our hotel is small, simple, and pretty. All the buildings here are blue, and they speak as much Spanish as French so Megan and I both get by. The café I'm in now will let me upload photos, so tomorrow I'll do that and post more. Right now we go to dinner with some backpackers from Utah (small world, no?). Oh, and did I mention there's a REAL FLUSHING TOILET here? The second I've seen since London! I could rhapsodize about the toilet for hours, but I'm hungry after the 10 hours of train and bus rides today. Long post tomorrow, I promise. Love to all!

No comments: